• UCLA Latino Policy and Politics Initiative study finds that Latino students pursuing a medical career in California must overcome significant barriers to successfully become physicians. The main barriers identified are: financial and opportunity cost, academic disadvantages, navigation, underrepresentation and citizenship.
  • Barriers to the medical profession further exasperate the Latino physician shortage in California. Policymakers, advocates and stakeholders must address the barriers encountered by Latinos in the medical profession to meet the health care needs of all residents.

The UCLA Latino Policy and Politics Initiative (LPPI), in collaboration with the UCLA Fielding School of Public Health, recently released its fourth installation of policy reports addressing California’s Latino Physician Shortage. Authored by LPPI Faculty Research Expert Dr. Arturo Vargas-Bustamante and Lucía Félix Beltrán, Latino Physician Shortage in California: The Provider Prospective discusses the main barriers and sources of support identified by a sample of Latino pre-med students, medical school applicants, Latino medical students, and recently graduated Latino physicians.

This report finds that, “the medical profession is de facto not open to everyone.” Specifically, unequal backgrounds and opportunities, diverse career trajectories, and various barriers in the medical profession, such as underrepresentation of Latinos in the medical field or academic disadvantages, are creating major difficulties for Latino students seeking careers as physicians.

“This analysis by Bustamante and Beltran provides a critically needed and comprehensive examination of the pipeline from high school, through college, and into medical school faced by Latinx students.  Importantly, it examines the multiple causes of leaks from that pipeline using an innovative methodology incorporating the experiences of those students.  It is these leaks that impair California’s ability to generate the diverse physician workforce needed to care for the State’s increasingly diverse population.” says Dr. David Carlisle, President of Charles Drew University, a private, nonprofit University committed to cultivating diverse health professional leaders who are dedicated to social justice and health equity for underserved populations.

In 2015, Latinos became California’s plurality population with approximately 15.2 million Latinos residing in the state. By 2050, Latinos are estimated to represent 44.5% of the state’s population.[1] While the Latino population continues to grow, the supply of Latino physicians has not caught up.[2] The scarcity of Latino physicians in California has led to a deficit of 54,655 Latino physicians that are required to achieve parity with Non-Hispanic Whites.[3]

Pipeline programs and mentorship platforms partly address the barriers Latino students face to become physicians with support such as tutoring, mentorship, and exposure to the medical profession. However, these programs alone are unable to substantially change the low representation of Latinos in the medical profession.

Therefore, California must reduce the barriers faced by Latino physician hopefuls throughout the state. The report includes policy recommendations that directly address the barriers that unnecessarily complicate the navigation of medical education for Latinos. Policy recommendations outlined in the report include, increasing financial resources available to students who do not qualify for existing programs, such as those that require citizenship, or addressing academic disadvantages by coordinating and expanding pipeline programs that support students from middle school until medical school.

The need to address this deficit is increasingly pressing as the share of the Latino population increases in California, and as the demand for health care increases with population aging. Every year that California does not work to increase access of the medical education for Latino students, already inadequate access to high quality care worsens, ultimately impacting the overall healthcare outcomes of the state.

This research was made possible by a generous grant from AltaMed Health Services Corporation.

Read the full report at: latino.ucla.edu/health

About the UCLA Latino Policy and Politics Initiative:

The Latino Policy & Politics Initiative (LPPI) is a comprehensive think tank that addresses the most critical domestic policy challenges facing communities of color in states and localities across the U.S. LPPI fosters innovative research, leverages policy-relevant expertise, drives civic engagement, and nurtures a leadership pipeline to propel viable policy reforms that expand opportunity for all Americans. Learn more at: latino.ucla.edu

___________________________________________________________________

[1] DOF. Projections. 2018; http://www.dof.ca.gov/Forecasting/Demographics/Projections/.

[2] Sanchez G., Nevarez T., Schink W., Hayes-Bautista D. E. Latino Physicians in the United States, 1980-2010: A Thirty-Year Overview From the Censuses. 2015(1938-808X (Electronic)).

[3] Hsu P, Balderas-Medina Anaya Y, Hayes-Bautista D. E. 5 Centuries to Reach Parity: An Analysis of How Long it Will Take to Address California’s Latino Physician Shortage. Los Angeles, CA: Latino Policy & Politic Initiative; October 2018 2018.

38 replies
  1. jack
    jack says:

According to my point of view, we should take proper diet, regular exercise, take extra supplements of vitamins such as vitamins A, K, C and many more. The regular exercise plays an important role to manage in our health. During the exercise our extra fats waste and I think this is a best way to remain healthy and smart all over the year.Condominio Santa Ana Village

2. carry
    carry says:

Bob was my uncle. I only saw him at family gatherings once or twice a year in the 30’s. For some reason Mom never talked much about her baby brother. It wasn’t until Jenny started on her research that I began to understand that my uncle was a man towering above other men. Jennifer Bowman is my daughter.Colinas de Montealegre Curridabat

3. Buy decanters
    Buy decanters says:

Hey, very nice information. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.

4. lisa
    lisa says:

Great work. i have read the information You posted on the articles. i very helps me. everyone Should know about these healthy food.even i know a Healthy Blog which is also good for reading about health. keep sharing.how to make cbd oil

5. carry
    carry says:

Basically, California needs to improve its study system through this they help the many students to build up their bright future.

6. carry
    carry says:

Every morning, I have been waking up and starting my day off with 500ml of water. Drinking more water is something that I wanted to start doing (not just in the New Year) but I get busy throughout the day and forget. Now I know that I at least have that much in me.nursing essay help experts

7. lisa
    lisa says:

I just wanted to Thank YOU for these interesting informative articles. I like to think I’m a progressive issues-alert gran’mom but I’ve actually picked up a number of information from you that are extremely helpful. Today’s info on your ND shakes is interesting and may be coming to usage in the short future when my son’s family joins our household (building a whole separate but adjoined house to ours). Am already getting ideas ready to keep the grandkids healthy and happy. Thanks againBest Lice Comb

8. agario
    agario says:

9. omia
    omia says:

A commitment of thankfulness is all together to post this data. I in a general sense need to uncover to you that I in a general sense look at your site and I trust that its particularly amazing and advancing forward.create your own paint by number

10. lisa
    lisa says:

I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.LISA

11. Christian Music
    Christian Music says:

Every morning, I have been waking up and starting my day off with 500ml of water. Drinking more water is something that I wanted to start doing (not just in the New Year) but I get busy throughout the day and forget. Now I know that I at least have that much in me.christian music

12. Jenijen
    Jenijen says:

Jeniuspoker adalah situs idn poker terbaik di Indonesia yang menyediakan berbagai jenis permainan seperti poker, dominoqq, bandar ceme, capsa susun, super10, ceme keliling dan omaha.

13. lisa
    lisa says:

Working or business in Budapest for several months, or just looking for a temporary home? Our fully furnished and well equipped apartments available for short term rental between 1-6 month or long term from 6 month onwards for affordable monthly rentals, together with the comfort of a weekly cleaning service if desired. Everything like electricity, heating, TV, WiFi, washing machine/dryer, water, taxes, common fees are included. Just send us details which kind of apartment you are looking for e.g how many bedrooms, which district, renting period … and we will find the perfect place for you. Just fill out the contact form next to the listed apartment. Budapest long term rentals

14. lisa
    lisa says:

Every morning, I have been waking up and starting my day off with 500ml of water. Drinking more water is something that I wanted to start doing (not just in the New Year) but I get busy throughout the day and forget. Now I know that I at least have that much in me.LISA

15. Rehab center
    Rehab center says:

I have heard this issue for the last 5 years and now still California’s Latino Physician Shortage. US government still works on it i hope soon it will better.

16. lisa
    lisa says:

I do think that you ought to write more about this topic, it might not be described as a taboo subject but usually individuals are too few to chat on such topic.Organic food

17. lisa
    lisa says:

I have to thank you for ones time for this especially phenomenal read !! I certainly truly preferred all aspects of it and I additionally have you spared to fav to take a gander at new data in your site.skyscanner uçak bileti

18. lisa
    lisa says:

An interesting discussion may be valued at comment. I do think that you ought to write more about this topic, it might not be described as a taboo subject but usually individuals are too few to chat on such topic.online learning

19. lisa
    lisa says:

Interesting to read this article on the website, which makes me want to always read it. thank you. Fascinating to see this short article on the site, makes us wish to usually study it. flypgs

20. lisa
    lisa says:

Finding professionals is easy with Organic food Providers. Search our website to instantly connect with business and professionals. For professionals, our website works as a powerful tool for attracting more clients.

21. lisa
    lisa says:

What a great post! I am a Hertfordshire Wedding Photographer and am always struggling to find things to blog about to keep my site up to date and current!! Some of the things in the list above is a goof=d starting point for me!! Thanks for posting this!Flight booking

22. lisa
    lisa says:

Is it me or does everyone find Abaqus help as absolutely useless…… First of all no help or documentation on product is available free of cost and then that documentation even though is vast is a huge jargon which does not help you sort out the problems..

23. agario hub
    agario hub says:

are exhausted but happy to expend all remainng energy respecting the gift. Everyone is now talking about the travel home and the hard work ahead following up on details on LEAF and other contacts and opportunities that have emerged.

24. agario
    agario says:

Barriers to the medical profession further exasperate the Latino physician shortage in California. Policymakers, advocates and stakeholders must address the barriers encountered by Latinos in the medical profession to meet the health care needs of all residents.