• UCLA Latino Policy and Politics Initiative study finds that Latino students pursuing a medical career in California must overcome significant barriers to successfully become physicians. The main barriers identified are: financial and opportunity cost, academic disadvantages, navigation, underrepresentation and citizenship.
  • Barriers to the medical profession further exasperate the Latino physician shortage in California. Policymakers, advocates and stakeholders must address the barriers encountered by Latinos in the medical profession to meet the health care needs of all residents.

The UCLA Latino Policy and Politics Initiative (LPPI), in collaboration with the UCLA Fielding School of Public Health, recently released its fourth installation of policy reports addressing California’s Latino Physician Shortage. Authored by LPPI Faculty Research Expert Dr. Arturo Vargas-Bustamante and Lucía Félix Beltrán, Latino Physician Shortage in California: The Provider Prospective discusses the main barriers and sources of support identified by a sample of Latino pre-med students, medical school applicants, Latino medical students, and recently graduated Latino physicians.

This report finds that, “the medical profession is de facto not open to everyone.” Specifically, unequal backgrounds and opportunities, diverse career trajectories, and various barriers in the medical profession, such as underrepresentation of Latinos in the medical field or academic disadvantages, are creating major difficulties for Latino students seeking careers as physicians.

“This analysis by Bustamante and Beltran provides a critically needed and comprehensive examination of the pipeline from high school, through college, and into medical school faced by Latinx students.  Importantly, it examines the multiple causes of leaks from that pipeline using an innovative methodology incorporating the experiences of those students.  It is these leaks that impair California’s ability to generate the diverse physician workforce needed to care for the State’s increasingly diverse population.” says Dr. David Carlisle, President of Charles Drew University, a private, nonprofit University committed to cultivating diverse health professional leaders who are dedicated to social justice and health equity for underserved populations.

In 2015, Latinos became California’s plurality population with approximately 15.2 million Latinos residing in the state. By 2050, Latinos are estimated to represent 44.5% of the state’s population.[1] While the Latino population continues to grow, the supply of Latino physicians has not caught up.[2] The scarcity of Latino physicians in California has led to a deficit of 54,655 Latino physicians that are required to achieve parity with Non-Hispanic Whites.[3]

Pipeline programs and mentorship platforms partly address the barriers Latino students face to become physicians with support such as tutoring, mentorship, and exposure to the medical profession. However, these programs alone are unable to substantially change the low representation of Latinos in the medical profession.

Therefore, California must reduce the barriers faced by Latino physician hopefuls throughout the state. The report includes policy recommendations that directly address the barriers that unnecessarily complicate the navigation of medical education for Latinos. Policy recommendations outlined in the report include, increasing financial resources available to students who do not qualify for existing programs, such as those that require citizenship, or addressing academic disadvantages by coordinating and expanding pipeline programs that support students from middle school until medical school.

The need to address this deficit is increasingly pressing as the share of the Latino population increases in California, and as the demand for health care increases with population aging. Every year that California does not work to increase access of the medical education for Latino students, already inadequate access to high quality care worsens, ultimately impacting the overall healthcare outcomes of the state.

This research was made possible by a generous grant from AltaMed Health Services Corporation.

Read the full report at: latino.ucla.edu/health

About the UCLA Latino Policy and Politics Initiative:

The Latino Policy & Politics Initiative (LPPI) is a comprehensive think tank that addresses the most critical domestic policy challenges facing communities of color in states and localities across the U.S. LPPI fosters innovative research, leverages policy-relevant expertise, drives civic engagement, and nurtures a leadership pipeline to propel viable policy reforms that expand opportunity for all Americans. Learn more at: latino.ucla.edu

___________________________________________________________________

[1] DOF. Projections. 2018; http://www.dof.ca.gov/Forecasting/Demographics/Projections/.

[2] Sanchez G., Nevarez T., Schink W., Hayes-Bautista D. E. Latino Physicians in the United States, 1980-2010: A Thirty-Year Overview From the Censuses. 2015(1938-808X (Electronic)).

[3] Hsu P, Balderas-Medina Anaya Y, Hayes-Bautista D. E. 5 Centuries to Reach Parity: An Analysis of How Long it Will Take to Address California’s Latino Physician Shortage. Los Angeles, CA: Latino Policy & Politic Initiative; October 2018 2018.

74 replies
  1. carry
    carry says:

Basically, California needs to improve its study system through this they help the many students to build up their bright future.

2. agario
    agario says:

3. Rehab center
    Rehab center says:

I have heard this issue for the last 5 years and now still California’s Latino Physician Shortage. US government still works on it i hope soon it will better.

4. agario hub
    agario hub says:

are exhausted but happy to expend all remainng energy respecting the gift. Everyone is now talking about the travel home and the hard work ahead following up on details on LEAF and other contacts and opportunities that have emerged.

5. agario
    agario says:

Barriers to the medical profession further exasperate the Latino physician shortage in California. Policymakers, advocates and stakeholders must address the barriers encountered by Latinos in the medical profession to meet the health care needs of all residents.

6. Pengeluaran Sydney
    Pengeluaran Sydney says:

The the next time I read a blog, Hopefully that it doesnt disappoint me up to this blog. What i’m saying is, I know it was my method to read, but I personally thought youd have some thing intriguing to say. All I hear is usually a lot of whining about something that you could fix if you werent too busy seeking attention.

7. lisa
    lisa says:

I got this websiteweb sitesiteweb page from my friendpalbuddy who toldinformedshared with me regardingconcerningabouton the topic of this websiteweb sitesiteweb page and nowat the moment this time I am visitingbrowsing this websiteweb sitesiteweb page and reading very informative articlespostsarticles or reviewscontent hereat this placeat this time.BeEco

8. lisa
    lisa says:

Very nice blogs!!! I have to learn a lot of information from these sites…Sharing wonderful information. Thanks for sharing this valuable information with our vision. You have posted a trustworthy blog keep sharing.guided tours in Israel

9. lisa
    lisa says:

Such great information for the blogger I am a professional blogger thanks. The La Barbera proudly serves a great combination of modern and traditional barbery. for more information visit our website.Shopping

10. Web development
    Web development says:

Much thanks to you for another extraordinary article. Where else would anyone be able to get that sort of data in such a flawless method for composing? I have a presentation one week from now, and I am on the search for such data.

11. lisa
    lisa says:

Please let me know if you’re looking for a article author for your blog. You have some really good articles and I believe I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d absolutely love to write some content for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please send me an e-mail if interested. game light

12. lisa
    lisa says:

I carry on listening to the newscast talk about getting boundless online grant applications so I have been looking around for the top site to get one. Could you tell me please, where could i acquire some? black travel movement

13. Shalom Lamm
    Shalom Lamm says:

The next time I learn a weblog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I imply, I do know it was my choice to learn, but I truly thought youd have one thing interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about one thing that you would repair in the event you werent too busy on the lookout for attention.

14. judi qq
    judi qq says:

It’s really great. Thank you for providing a quality article. There is something you might be interested in. Do you know ? If you have more questions, please come to my site and check it out!

15. judi qq
    judi qq says:

Thank you to people who have made a comment link very well and very useful for users. With this comment link, hopefully it can help us all and thank you once again to those who made this comment link application.

16. judi slot
    judi slot says:

Thank you for sharing a very useful blog. With this blog we can develop more widely for the website that we launched in cyberspace. Thank you very much

17. lisa
    lisa says:

Mental health is a result of our mind thinking. Believe you can do it you do it. Ignore negative thinking and believe you are the truth. Your article provides me with great inspiration. Thanks for the great inspiration,shampoo bowl for sale

18. john
    john says:

I want to leave a little comment to support and wish you the best luck. Thanks for giving that type of information. I am really happy to visit your blog.pet magpie

19. jack
    jack says:

Great Article. Looking great work dear, I really appreciated to you on this quality work. I would like say thanks for this post. Here are some useful links for stdudents all across the globe. These tips may help me in the future. A high-standard post with all imperative information.Host Regions LTD

20. lisa
    lisa says:

Attractive part of content. I’d like to find out more? I’d care to find out more details.I have read so many content on the topic of the blogger lovers however this paragraph is truly a good.WitneyCouriers

21. ornaments
    ornaments says:

Policy recommendations outlined in the report include, increasing financial resources available to students who do not qualify for existing programs, such as those that require citizenship, or addressing academic disadvantages by coordinating and expanding pipeline programs that support students from middle school until medical school.