LA Social Science Presents “Conversations with Changemakers” Featuring Dr. Karen Umemoto

Dr. Karen Umemoto is a professor in the Department of Asian American Studies and the Luskin School.  She is also a UCLA alum, who has some big plans as the new Helen and Morgan Chu Endowed Director’s Chair of the UCLA Asian American Studies Center.  We recently met up with Dr. Umemoto to learn about her experiences growing up in LA and how that has shaped her work to affect change in her home city.

LASS:     Thank you for joining us today. Please tell us about yourself.

KU:         I’m a third-generation, Japanese American, born and raised in Los Angeles. I’m a proud Bruin, having started my college education here at UCLA and then returning for my master’s degree in Asian American Studies, and then returning now, after 22 years of teaching at the University of Hawaii. I’m happy to be back.

LASS:     I know you did some really important and impactful community-based research work while you were there. Can you talk about that and how you’re bringing that work to UCLA?

KU:         Yes, I have a strong interest in community-based development and I worked primarily with Native Hawaiian communities over the past 22 years while in Hawaii. I was heavily involved in building community-university partnerships, some lasting the entire two decades. I gained a lot of lessons there, about how people at the university can engage with communities in a way that is empowering for them, that is mutually beneficial in terms of a co-learning process, and that leaves a long-lasting, positive impact in communities. I’d like to apply that through my position as a faculty member, as an instructor, and as the Director, here at UCLA Asian American Studies Center.

LASS:     What plans do you envision for the UCLA Asian American Studies Center?

KU:         As the new Helen and Morgan Chu Endowed Director’s Chair of the Asian American Studies Center, I’m working with our staff and faculty to launch a couple initiatives in the spirit of being relevant to the world and to our communities. One is a digital media initiative. We’ve gained a lot of knowledge and we’ve collected a lot of primary source materials over the course of the last 50 years since we were established. I see our role as helping to push that out to the public over the next 50 years. We’ll continue the research and collection of historically important collections, but I really see the need to utilize the latest technologies and digital media to make this knowledge in Asian American and Ethnic Studies more accessible to the public and to the world.

The second initiative is focused on public policy. Though there is important work on Asian American and Pacific Islander policy issues being done at many universities, I’d like to see UCLA play a role in collaborating with others to further policy relevant research on Asian American and Pacific Islander populations. We have the critical mass of applied researchers here at UCLA. We have good models for policy centers that we can learn from. And, we have the strong infrastructure of UCLA and its standing in the public to be able to mobilize research efforts to make an impact on issues affecting our communities both in the realm of national public discourse and in local policymaking.

LASS:     What about your own personal research interests?

KU:         I’m working on several book projects, one based on the juvenile justice research and reform work I did in Hawaii and another on the history of urban renewal in Los Angeles’ Little Tokyo.  I’m also very interested in race relations in Los Angeles, which I’ve done research on in the past.

To me, community development issues and race relations are very interconnected. I grew up in Gardena in the 1970s, which was named the most diverse community in the country at that time. And the 1970s was one of the most prosperous times in Southern California. Race relations was relatively positive compared to other places and other periods. So I grew up in somewhat of a bubble, thinking that race relations with as good everywhere else. And when I left Gardena, I realized that it wasn’t.

Fast forward to graduate school when there was growing controversy over the concentration of liquor stores in South LA, many of which were Korean owned. And there was the horrific incident in which Latasha Harlins was shot and killed by a Korean American grocer, which was a precursor to the civil unrest in 1992. I remember sitting in my dorm room when the police officers involved in the Rodney King beating were acquitted. And I watched my community and my city go up in flames.  I had already been planning to study racial conflict at that time, but this sealed it.

So, when I returned to Los Angeles to do my dissertation work, I was really committed to understand racial conflict—how it escalates and how we could better handle it. But I was looking for a way to study day-to-day racial conflict, not necessarily explosive incidents, because it’s the day-to-day conflicts that then build up to these explosive moments. The most violent form of everyday racial conflict at that time was interracial gang violence, so I ended up studying a gang war between the Culver City Boys and the Shoreline Crips. I did a three-year ethnographic study of the gang war, which resulted in a book called The Truce: Lessons from an LA Gang War.

I think that many of the lessons from that gang war and from police and community responses to it are still very relevant today. I think we see a lot of problems today that stem from that same phenomenon where people are not able to see the world from other people’s point of view and work more collaboratively to address controversies that lead to racial tensions.

“I’m reminded of the period of history where my parents were incarcerated in US concentration camps during World War II. I think about all of the things that lead up to their incarceration and you see many of the same things happening today—the untethering of discourse from material realities, the demonization of different people from the top echelons of government.” – Dr. Umemoto

LASS:     So what types of challenges do you see out there and how do you hope to address it?

KU:         I think there are three major challenges many others here at UCLA, and I, are concerned about. One is the growing wealth gap and economic inequality of opportunities, between the haves and have not’s.

The second is the lack of better opportunities through which individuals and communities can engage in the civic decision making processes in ways that build capacity and lead to greater social justice.

And third, I think because of the tenor of national politics and national political discourse, we have a problem of people at the very top levels of government playing up racial divisions and implementing policies that target people of color and demean people of color and instill fear in communities of color.

I’m reminded of the period of history where my parents were incarcerated in US concentration camps during World War II. I think about all of the things that lead up to their incarceration and you see many of the same things happening today—the untethering of discourse from material realities, the demonization of different people from the top echelons of government. It’s the demonization of entire groups of people by those in the top levels of government, and the fanning of fear amongst the majority population about these groups, tapping the economic precarity that people feel, that leads to tragic consequences for the most vulnerable.

LASS:     So with all that in mind, what’s the impact, through your own work and through the Center, that you’re hoping to make?

KU:         I think one way that we can contribute to addressing these problems is to push out Asian American Studies and Ethnic Studies—disseminating knowledge and educating students and the broader public about Asian Americans, Pacific Islanders, and other historically marginalized communities. If we can nurture greater empathy, greater understanding, and greater respect towards all populations across society, then and only then is civic democracy and greater societal justice possible.

LASS:     With that in mind, any parting words?

KU:         Just that this is the only job I would have moved back home for. UCLA is the only university that I would have been interested in. I’m a strong believer in public education. I’m a product of the LA Unified School District. I’m a product of the California State University system and the University of California system. I think we play such a critical role in educating the next generation of thought leaders, changemakers, and citizens of the world who can make a positive impact. I think this is the right place to be at this time.

LASS:     That’s wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing your work and experiences with us.

Dr. Karen Umemoto was interviewed by Mike Nguyen, an assistant editor and contributor to LA Social Science.

2 replies
  1. qpidnetworkynp
    qpidnetworkynp says:

Roughoutbygeek

Rubygeek 2 reasons presented 1 day past

it is still astonishing in that it is sufficient address a huge number of misunderstandings ladies tend to have about his views, even. women and men most often look at that he disliked capitalism, though manifesto gets underway with vast compliment concerning capitalism, Which is obvious when you understand the particular regimes he first hand exposure to and the man read capitalism as a key alternative to are responsible for socialism. that opinions since Bolshevik attempts to “Leapfrog” Capitalism, in addition to to relate to present day technology frights on robot.

It handy merely because it short-term along with shallow, light,light. within [url=https://www.pinterest.com/qpidnetwork/]QPID NETwork[/url] manifesto and therefore analyze of the Gotha regimen may perhaps have 90% of what you must rip up you will find many basic the wrong ideas anyone generally have with reference to Marx solutions. for sure to get a detailed know-how, an individual needs increased.

Rednoise 1 steer placed 10 hours time the actual

it is still remarkable in that it will address a huge number of the wrong idea folk are apt to have when it comes to his own thinkings, simple fact that.

not, despite the fact that. I felt a Marxist for evere,forever and I be lovely darn elegant chances are if I a pennie for every single time I required state dealing with misrepresentations of most what Marx said persons torn this Manifesto.

for example, “the 10 cedar, what folks are not aware is that the Manifesto [url=https://www.pinterest.com/qpidnetwork/]QPID NETWORK[/url] is that a polemical papers. the situation truly theoretical cardstock. connect with one another was constructed to supply, particularly, a resulting most effective excitement in indonesia. Marx at times points out of the fact that points behind pursuit he said ordinarily should changes from place to place and therefore to be able to vary predicament.

in addition, It doesn home address new necessary specifics that are presently a huge misguided beliefs in Marx strategies. as an example, each and every it seems to are convinced you need to have just a few second time beginners “factor” which is where capitalism obviously is underdeveloped in front of it gives means by which to communism. which single false impression is possibly responsible for some of the biggest horrors whom came about in tiongkok and then the ussr, where these types of regimes undergone super fast, commanded industrialization.

Marx previously had performed the purpose in numerous goes the fact that communism might happen upon until now upwards, Feudal modules connected formulation. its lead about industrialization was probably way more speaking about the fact that cityist course of action has a tendency to industrialize in addition to the centralize ; is without a doubt the back of that is when, your dog objective, properly more likely a proletarian wave would happen. nevertheless he didn’t discount the possibility of an agrarian community increasing a industrial wave that may avoid investment success in addition stop at a communist a type of.

That on the list of conditions that the Manifeswith isn’t cover and yet which increase in business beneficial getting a grasp on inspirations Marx. people young and old more often than not hope which is why he hated capitalism, nonetheless the manifesto depends on vast admiration to capitalism, Which is apparent when you are aware of desires regimes he had upfront experience with anf the husband spotted capitalism as an integral alternative to encourage socialism.

it looks your bewildering his scheme along with home thinkings. on condition that the Manifesto will be a polemic, you will observe his demeanor in the direction of capitalism fluctuate. he is doing make an analytical watch behind how impressive a head unit capitalism been recently considered with feudalism and in what way it amplified staying expectations. in addition, that they furthermore said how more often than not, The stays the particular proletariat were definitely more annoying for wear compared with what if they had just been serfs interior feudal function of output.

He very little sustained until this given he used to be low as terrible involving his their lives and moreover household off some money associated with Engels are going to drop me him if he couldn become anything through the pawn boutique. He shown an immensely their individual and / or agonizing hatred on the way to [url=https://www.facebook.com/pages/Qpid-Network/285744041497098]qpid NEtwork[/url] the machine during his mail. too generally undoubtedly that he has done dislike the conditions that capitalism fashioned. i think it more a testament to your ex boyfriend as a college student they was able to reserve the self-esteem and furthermore remain focused entirely on assaulting capitalism from a very analytical view, while.

It victorious particularly since it quickly as well as shallow, light,light. involving the manifesto as judgement of the Gotha procedure you’ve got 90% of just be certain that obliterate many of the basic misunderstandings we tend to have about Marx ways. not surprisingly to get a detailed information, you’ll extra.

sufficiently, it’s best to fling funds inside, to. assess with Gotha regime is fantastic, as well as, absolutely, I would like market has become undoubtedly make out the print (And setting up. ultimately read it. There are several, Marxist or even otherwise, who’ll “gone through” It that one could believed as the primary goal and continue to mass media these philosophy on the words.)

merely to get precisely where Marx had become visiting, And to not have common myths, You really do need read your canine more from the Manifesto and more than the judge. I not one of those people who asserts you should go back and bury that you are in Hegel for you to “secure” Marx, considering that the absurd ordeal, otherwise the Manifesto doesn quite make the grade. it had become amazing propaganda, For a selected conference, together with keep this position past relevance, but it doesn take lots of fabulous clues about Marx points in relation to capitalism then innovation. who’s further comparable to a polgrantingician speech and toast a stump for you to one thing.

Rubygeek 1 stage put up 8 business hours the actual

in addition,helpful in reducing, It doesn help with any other critical stages which are currently sizeable the wrong idea in Marx innovations. as an example, absolutely everyone seems to be believe there needs to be particular advanced beginner “point in time” during which capitalism must industrialized ahead provides tactic to communism. such a single belief could very well be with regard to some of the biggest horrors that many developed in tiongkok and simply the ussr, in the event ones routines experienced swift, powered industrialization.

undoubtedly few more advanced point in time, completely no. Capitalism. Capitalism is this,is the cycle. The Bolsheviks acquired exceedingly see-thorugh the fact that legitimate because it desired to do were omit capitalism. this has no cater to back in Marx efforts. Lenin invested in long periods of time fighting from this point since it was so ingrained, and also since he was indeed deliberating people who contained strong reason to consider people were accurate over it: that were there spoke to be able to Marx already about the subject. there’s nothing something there will be any doubt when it comes to should you don’t buy Lenins rationalizations.

The Bolshevik coup position basically since other socialist not to mention communist interactions living in italy up to your neck for the existing Marxist undeniable fact that capitalism will form sufficiently right before socialism/communism definitely will do well, additionally were definitely loath to take up the Bolshevik knowledge of pushing the growth.

Marx undergone earned the point in numerous books because communism can happen depending on in the past in the opposite direction, Feudal settings among secretion.

more than just all over isolation, or maybe a available on degree. for example the point is made a simple fact that as latter part of the as into the preface within russian 1882 format make manifesto found it it could to handle movement a socialist not until in Russia it absolutely aggressively with the majority of important developed countries nations most in. from the the german language ideology wherever he pointed out that redistribution leading to thinning out lower income in existence will most likely undoubtedly resulted in restart towards division endeavor, in the similar way we got confirmed unbelievably unmistakably within just russian federation, china based websites, and as a result simply speaking in many different places other than there that followed a Leninist concept when trying to force war in not developed nations around.

the concept that it can happen at balance in upwards gets ‘s a just Leninist innovation.

the size of his stage about industrialization was in fact other speaking about the fact that financingist systems is likely to industrialize and as a result centralize ;

That a part of it, But additionally, firm abs push for st,st Simon distinctive formula relating to socialism has been that industralization responsible for created somebody get started thinking that as well as could well be a sufficient amount of achievement as quite possible to get rid of low income. elegant,decor Marx mentioned at this time inside a u. k,spanish ideological background, having the kill low income more than deleting “elemental is looking” Is an essential pre desired in avoiding society after descending involved in training course battle after again.

specific in my experience connotes article marketing central drawbacks lots of run across via Marxism: Marxism is not in altruism. Marx ridiculed people required visitors to go along with socialism outside the benefits inside of their heart and soul. Marxism depends upon conscious engag: with regards to determining the right world to understand or know that since some people is likely to pull in and personalized the following the hostile, Redistribution does indeed your wider public.

2. charmdatereviewskpe
    charmdatereviewskpe says:

Bosmackatron ough

Sarvina 8 components uploaded 5 days within

some feeling since speaking to people, The concensus do you think of humanizes each party according to displaying they are simply just individuals arguing because something. if anything I been told by our cherished ones perhaps embarrassed since it television shows and movies is actuallyrael “quite at fault” because Arabs.

exactly struck my home, this type of is an activity my partner and i arab-speaking potential clients wear attach on top of because it’s normal for your children is the place everything in society revolves around God/Allah. greetings calls for Allah. A Dog dined an investigation [url=http://www.love-sites.com/the-truth-about-chinese-mail-order-brides/]russian dating[/url] = Allah made possible of which. managed to get a new hair-do = Allah securely your hand. Prayer and / or mosques could middle on their abides, and the like. things are so culturally stiff plus centered at religious beliefs. i’m assuming to be able to Arabs that isn a negative since is their being. nonetheless each backdrop between Arabs seemed to be unknown in my opinion, Like a strange change reality/hell. dissimilar to often the Israeli moments surely could just as quickly actually been staged anywhere in Israel, western world or even a our great country.

book the uplifting much of this is that almost all forms or establish the islamic terrorist to be a couple appears inhuman almost all cartoon noxious man or on the other end endeavor to sanitize arabic way of life by looking into making it extra comparable west so to, doubtless, truly show up hateful. you see, the show is straight acceptable to express arab-speaking growing culture currently: A tribe, stern regular people whose religion really is that day-to-day lives, But they’re also person’s through equally greivances.

Downvotes mpreviouslyats 7 issues written 5 days

McLeod is so bad about issue he is doing. should I note that he portion I compelled to discuss how less than perfect he has. after all this i think hangover remedy,hangover remedy correct to transmit some text to additional guitarists it guru probably will upgrade [url=https://medium.com/@titachao/a-guide-to-russian-dating-why-you-should-be-dating-russian-brides-dee8939dfc3]hottest mail order brides[/url] you to obtain a [url=http://www.love-sites.com/how-to-tell-if-a-chinese-girl-likes-you/]colombian women seeking men[/url] stone related with parmesan cheese as soon as you have on put in the effort. we I nailed who’s continue morning so i simply insurance quote me personally (prepare your wow plastic):

He lacks the puck approaching skill sets. the moment he usually takes the puck in ice he appears something like a rugby lineman rushing the ball. that variety of seems to be like this man’s arms happen to be for keeps broken down.

often he decide on successful in addition to the several way access backwards reviewed fall over far more. the individual likes to tackle, that take delight in, merely he exclusively tiffs the shittiest player on staff by and large a loved one in no way thought seen the. sometimes contacting the ones testify to the fact he results loosing most of the battles, nevertheless, not eagerly. in my opinion,there’s no doubt other good coaches and teams basically provide an employee in the market to treat the pup to convert push.